Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Stopping to smell the roses

Today (Tuesday) was the first time I've left my apartment since early Saturday evening! Don't worry, I've still kept some semblance of civility and showered almost everyday...gulp. I performed a self diagnosis (using WebMD) and determined I came down with the flu. I seriously cannot remember the last time I had the flu, guess this is my body performing a check up to make sure the good ol' immune system is still working as it should! Note to self - get my flu shot from now on so I don't have to go through this again. Anyways, it has TKO'ed me without compassion until I finally mustered the strength this morning to go get some stronger medicine. Having taken that during the day, I felt some renewed energy in the evening and decided to go get some groceries. The alternative would have been to start eating boiled pasta (with no sauce), or cardboard boxes, or start flipping through my trash can for leftover grains of rice and rotten curry sauce.

Now, I've always been a big believer in looking at the bright side of things, so let me tell you what I've taken away from all of this...besides the need to get a flu shot. For me, being sick and frail offered one of the most peaceful walks I've had in a long time! True, it may because I was still achy and couldn't walk as half as I normally do, BUT let me try to explain: every morning, I am in such a rush to get to the office on time. My main goal is to (1) see how many people I can speed walk past while (2) not tripping over what I'll call 'brick monsters' that seem to always stick out JUST as you pass by only to disappear again when you look back at what caused you to almost face plant so that I can (3) board the tube in hopes that I won't be standing next to a huge smelly dude who insists on inching his armpit towards my nose the entire ride. Four weeks in, and I can honestly say I've barely stopped to "smell the roses" along such a quaint neighborhood that I am calling 'home'.

Tonight though, I got to do that. Let me tell you, being deathly sick brings you back to the simple pleasures that we take for granted! I looked at and appreciated all the houses as I walked by (fine, I'll admit that I paid special attention to those neighbors that don't close their blinds in hopes to see something good haha), noticed and smelled the flowers that are blooming along the sidewalk, admired the runners who were out for an evening jog while I was bundled up in a sweater and a fleece, and (unfortunately) also caught a few whiffs of second hand smoke. That is a whole different topic...but man, so many more people smoke here than back in New York. What's up with that? For the ladies out there - smoking is a huge turn off. Please stop smoking, NOW!

Now, I wouldn't wish anyone to get as sick as I am right now (I'm on the mend though, thanks for your concern!), but I do wish everyone could take a moment out of your busy day to put away your iPods / iPads / iPhones / iAnythingElse, slow down just a bit from that power walk, and just, enjoy it all for one second. Watch as all the hectic things in life zooms right by, and just take in the sights, sounds, and smells around you (assuming you didn't just stop by a landfill of course). Isn't it great?!

Tomorrow, I'll be back to my power walk, but tonight was so peaceful as I dragged my achy body around the neighborhood.

PS - this post was brought to you by 2 non drowsy flu pills, half a roll of toilet paper from my runny nose, and a dirty Nike DriFit shirt that I've been wearing for two days now...let's just say when you get the sweats, moisture wicking material feels so much better than a damp cotton shirt. I hope what I've said above isn't just a delirious and incoherent rambling! If it is, I blame the medicine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hope you feel better! miss you!