Thursday, March 3, 2011

My life, summarized in a few boxes…

I’ve been getting ready for London and packing all my possessions into boxes over the last week or so. I find that clothes are the easiest to pack, but the random trinkets and cards related to some very rich memories and experiences over the past year that are lying around are a bit more challenging to just ‘box up’ or throw away. First of all, let it be known that I don’t belong on that TLC show, “Hoarders”! But as an example, do I toss out the movie ticket stub that means way more than just the movie that was seen? I mean, it really is just a piece of paper, right? Or how about the two lollipops that I found in my change jar from one of a favorite restaurant? Elsewhere, these would be two very simple pieces of candy. However, both items represent much more. I feel like my room is an entire collection of these things!

I think it all stems from the self awareness that I have a horrible memory. Without these little tokens, I fear that in a few short weeks / months, I’ll just forget. It’ll be as good as none of those things ever happening…sad.

Fast forward to today: my room has been flipped upside down, not much has been sorted out just yet, and I find myself procrastinating even though I have a flight to catch on Saturday night. Secretly, I guess I’m just a bit nervous about leaving my comfort zone (New York) that I’ve called home for the last 3.5 years.
For those who don’t already know, I’ll be relocating to London for work for three months! I’ve been set up with a wonderful ‘flat’ (http://chelsea.frasershospitality.com/ ) in Chelsea and will be riding the ‘tube’ to work everyday in March, April, and May. I hope you’ll follow along on this blog as I’ll provide periodic updates on my new life across the pond. I’ll try my best to entertain you with some of the funnier, more exotic, and interesting things I come across. Who knows, maybe I’ll even pick up an accent! Cheerio! *I wonder if people actually say, Cheerio?* Random fact, but I really only have two rules put in place by my manager: (1) bring back good chocolate, and (2) don’t fall in love with a British girl. How awesome, eh!
I expect to maximize my weekends and take flights throughout to see, hear, taste, touch, and smell all of Europe that I didn’t make it to during my first go-around (see below for info on that trip). Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Final point for tonight before I get back to packing – if you are my friend, and you are thinking about going to London, or already plan to, you are MORE than welcome to come crash with me. Just look at my cool ‘flat’, there will be lots of space, so go ahead and pull the trigger and buy that plane ticket already!

Hmmm, what should I do with that sea shell that was put into my suitcase when I last went to the beach?...maybe I should apply to be the next person on ‘Hoarders’…

See you on the flip side. Cheers!

1 comment:

West Family Adventures said...

congrats on the opportuinity! i'm so jealous! ;-)
i want to go and visit London, but i'm not sure if i'll make it this year......