Thursday, March 8, 2007

London bridge is falling down

No, just kidding, its not falling down.
But however, I am in London until Sunday, where then I'll be flying to Barcelona.

I can't get enough of the English accents...sometimes when I'm walking around, I find that I'm trying to imitate the "real" English language. I can only guess what people beside me are saying. The weirdest thing though, is seeing foreign people such as my fellow Asians with a heavy English accent!

Hostels are...well, exactly that. The one I'm staying in (St.Christopher's Village at Shephards Bush) is quite nice, although last night there was this dude who snored like a "chain saw" as my fellow Aussie roomate described. The co-ed style rooms are a little awkward...what if I just want to walk around in boxers...I'm not exactly sure if that is kosher anymore.

London is too expensive. I don't know how people can afford to live here. I bought a bloody roast beef sandwich, and it was 2 pounds, and I think what really happened was I got two flimsy pieces of bread with some brown stuff in the middle. But maybe they compensate that by making the majority of museums free.

I took a nice walking tour today that was "free" but tip based. It is very much catered towards backpackers and younger people, and I had a great time. I think mostly, I want to learn about history, but I just dont want to read through a guidebook in order to get that info. The lady who led the tour did a great job, especially because she had a good little speech about London's most famous whore, Nell Gwynn. Then she showed us the red light district...which I may go wandering through just to see if its all that she made it out to be. No, don't worry, I won't go in. I'm too cheap to pay the cover charges =)

Finally, one more thing...I'm screwed on Saturday night. I have an EARLY flight I have to catch to Luton airport which is about 30mi north of London, and so I may just end up going there Saturday night to make sure I don't miss my flight. The bus ride over there sounds real dodgy (like the local slang I've picked up?), and I'm not too sure if I take the last possible bus, what may happen. Oh, and my alarm doesn't work well. Well actually, my reflexes work too well and turn off the alarm before my mind has time to wake up. Thats another reason I'll head to the airport early.

Alright, until next time, have fun, and check my blog for future wisdom about travel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.