Sunday, August 21, 2011

Simple pleasures

I cannot explain it exactly, but have had a big smile on my face every morning for the last few weeks. I actually look forward to my commute to and from work now. Let me first clarify, I'm very blessed to have such a short door-to-door commute and have friends who travel up to 1.5 hours each way. Just think about it, that is 3 hours a day, 15 hours a week spent on the road traveling. That is 15 hours a week that could be spent doing something, ANYTHING else.

One of the reasons I have a smile is because of Linus. Yes I will admit it, she is beautiful. I am head over heels about her. She is old school, yet new school. She is trendy, yet classy. She is simple, yet incredibly complicated. To put it lightly, she treats me well. Every morning when I'm ready to go, she is there, waiting for me, ready to do anything I ask of her. It doesn't matter if it is 4am, 3pm, or 9pm.

She gets way too many compliments and at times, I get a little jealous. That is okay though, because she never actually gets mad. All I have to do is to keep her greased up, if you know what I mean. However, I get awfully suspicious that other guys are looking a little too hard because I know what they are thinking about deep down, so I lock Linus up in my room so they can't get their grimy hands on her. You might think I'm too protective about the situation, but if you saw her, you would know.

Now, let me just clarify because you may begin to think I'm some crazy pervert, serial killer, or a mad scientist. Linus is my new bicycle! Does that make things a little better?! I hope so.

I bought a bicycle after seeing a number of people who commuted this way while in London. I thought the idea was novel at first but not do-able in New York due to the chaotic traffic messes that can build up. Also, I've heard enough stories about bicyclers who get creamed by cabs, trucks, or doors popping open without warning that serve as an endless obstacle course.

However, after stewing on it for a month and researching potential routes to / from work, and part-time shopping trips to bike shops on weekends, I finally pulled the trigger! Actually, here is what happened - I walked into a store on a sunny Saturday afternoon, fully intending JUST to look at different Linus models, saw the Gaston 1 which I had not yet seen anywhere else, took it for a test ride (do you call it a test ride or test 'drive', har har har), and found myself walking out of the store with a new bike in tow.

Within the first minute of the first ride, I was reminded of how much fun it was to ride a bike. I probably haven't ridden a bike for 10 years or so prior to the bike shop trip. Think about the joy you felt when you got your first bike. Think back to when you rode up and down the street with your friends because it was your only form of transportation outside of asking Mom and Dad for a ride. I got to re-live that recently! And if you can't recall, I will happily lend you my bike and let you take it for a spin. I promise you will also remember.

Most people have seen New York on foot, or in a car / cab, or through the many subway tunnels that connect the boroughs together, but seeing the city on a bike is by far the biggest rush. I don't do it much justice, but it feels just so liberating when you are in control, guiding yourself down the street using only your legs to propel you forward while your hands steer you whereever you want to go.

I can honestly say that so far, it has been such a joy to ride my bike to work. I'm pretty sure I look ridiculous riding around in work clothes with my right pant leg tied back (to prevent getting grease on it from the chain), but honestly, I think I look semi-cool and that is what matters most =) I really find myself smiling as I ride and have to remind myself to tone it down on the way to work as people riding in the opposite direction have given me some weird looks already.

If you drive in the city, be on the look out and please please pay attention so you don't run me over! You'll know me when you see me too - the guy with an ear-to-ear grin and an appreciation for the simples pleasures that life offers.

Here she is, a Linus Gaston 1 (black frame, tan wheels, and an upgraded Brooks saddle).

No comments: