Sunday, April 10, 2011

What not to eat before going on a run

I have learned two valuable lessons today that I'd like to share so that no one else has to endure the pain I suffered.

Lesson 1 - Eating cheesecake is great, but eating cheesecake before going on a long run makes your stomach want to quit its day job
Lesson 2 - Kettle cooked chips are delicious, but again, not before a run. Tasting these chips time and time again as you burp and ALMOST vomit on yourself does not make for a fun time.

With that said, I had an amazing run today. I didn't run that far, nor did I run very fast (due to the two lessons learned above), but it was gorgeous weather outside today and it would've been a crime not to go get some miles in along the River Thames. Normally I would run a loop so that I can end roughly where I start...this ensures I can get back to my place and can eat some food and shower right away (okay fine, I admit that sometimes I just sit around for an hour before showering because I get an extreme case of laziness) so that the sweat doesn't cake on my skin and make me look like a salt mine. However, as I started my run today, I thought, 'lets just see how far I can go, and what sights I can take in along the way'! It was almost like a 2-for-1 deal...I'd get some exercise and as a side benefit, I'd get to do some sight seeing! For anyone who knows me, you know how I'm a complete sucker for deals.

So what did I see? From what I know, I passed by Buckingham Palace, the London Eye, Tate Modern, The Globe Theater, and the Millennium Bridge. I really wanted to make it to Tower Bridge, but my weak sauce legs prevented me from going that far. Sad. Maybe next time!

The big thing I didn't plan for was how I'd get back. I also forgot how much longer it takes to cover the same distance walking versus running! 'No worries', I thought, 'its a beautiful day out there and I'll slowly just backtrack...
Two and a half hours later, (looking like a man who just crossed the Sahara desert), I finally crawled back to my place...ravenous with hunger and thirst.

Ohh, lesson #3 - carry some money when you go out running, just in case you decide to not run in a loop, you still have the ability to buy something to drink or eat!

I distinctly remember two moments where I almost caved in. The first was when I was walking across a bridge and saw a quarter of a soft pretzel that must've been dropped or discarded earlier in the day. I won't lie, I looked behind me to see if there was anyone within range that would see me pick it up and eat it. Sadly, there was a large group across the street so I kept on walking, imagining how good the pretzel would've tasted (assuming it was still fresh, and hadn't been stepped on my throngs of people earlier in the day). Salty foods and carbs are the best after running! The second moment was when I walked by a bench along the river along my endless voyage, and there was some kind of half empty cup of orange (?) juice in a Starbucks plastic cup just sitting there. (Side note, is it half full, or half empty?! haha) Again, for a brief moment, I thought about taking a sip because I was so parched! Worry not though, I came to my senses and realized I came THAT close to eating garbage and leftovers on the street. Next time, I'm definitely taking some bills so I can enjoy a nice (fresh) glass of orange juice and a soft (not left over) pretzel knowing I deserve it after a long run on a beautiful day.

What can I say, life is good =) I can't believe I've been in London for over a month now...time flies!

No comments: